buy essayVisible Learning is an approach to learning and teaching based on the work of Professor John Hattie, which analyses the results of more than 15 years’ evidence based education research from around the world into what actually works in schools to improve learning.
It is about making pupils learning visible to teachers so they can know whether they are having an impact on the learning (Know Thy Impact) and see learning through the eyes of the learners. Further, it also refers to making teaching visible to the pupil as well, so that pupils learn to become their own teachers, an important component of becoming life-long learners- something we want all pupils to value.
- The whole school community should have a shared language of learning.
- Learners should be at the centre of a Visible Learning approach surrounded by inspired and passionate teachers.
- When learning is made ‘visible’ (teachers know what they are teaching and learners know what they are learning), achievement increases.
- A visible learning approach supports pupils to become assessment capable leaners who know where they are in their learning, where they are going next and how they are going to get there.
- Effective feedback is crucial- it should be personal for each child and ‘just in time’
- The greatest effects on learning come when pupils are their own teachers and when teachers are learners.
For more information look at our Visible Learning Booklet below:-